Startups looking to take corporate VC funding should be aware of the requirements put on founders.
Here’s a list to consider:
– Corporate VCs may seek consent rights on contracts the startup enters with competitors.
– They may seek higher levels of compliance on the part of the startup.
– They may require additional rights over an exit, given they are in the deal for a longer time.
– They may limit the information made available to competitors and the market in general.
– They may expect right-of-first-refusal on any shares offered.
– They may put a call option on the company for a future buyout.
– They may put a put option on the company which must buy back the shares in the future.
– They may take a board observer role which absolves them of any fiduciary responsibility.
– They may require the startup to comply with ESG, environmental, social, and governance compliance.
There’s a cost of working in the large company world, so it’s important to understand the requirements that come with the funding.
Thank you for joining us for the Startup Funding Espresso where we help startups and investors connect for funding.
Let’s go startup something today.
Thank you for joining your host Hall T. Martin with the Startup Funding Espresso — your daily shot of startup funding and investing.
For more episodes from Investor Connect, please visit the site at: http://investorconnect.org
Check out our other podcasts here: https://investorconnect.org/
For Investors check out: https://tencapital.group/investor-landing/
For Startups check out: https://tencapital.group/company-landing/
For eGuides check out: https://tencapital.group/education/
For upcoming Events, check out https://tencapital.group/events/
For Feedback please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Music courtesy of Bensound
Copyright (c) 2021, Hall Martin and investorconnect.org. All rights reserved.
Hall T Martin is the director of Investor Connect, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to the education of investors for early-stage funding. All opinions expressed by Hall and podcast guests are solely their own opinions and do not reflect the opinion of Investor Connect. This podcast is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for the basis of investment decisions.